- To empower the students with knowledge and skills and mould them into competent individuals with confidence to face challenges in life.
- To chisel the creative and critical faculties of the students through in-depth study of English literary texts, to instil a fervour for research endeavours and to strengthen their linguistic competency for employability and better living.
History of the Department
The Department of English has been rendering its service by offering Part II English from the inception of the College in 1962. The Undergraduate Programme in English was launched in 1968. The Department was upgraded as PG Department in 1979. M.Phil. Programme has been offered since 2004. The Department has been recognized as Research Centre since 2011 and has produced 17 Ph.D. candidates. There are 9 potential Research Supervisors recognized by Madurai Kamaraj University. At present 14 Research Scholars (2 Full-time & 12 Part-time) are pursuing research with utmost commitment.
The Department of English also offers UGC-Career oriented Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma Courses in Communicative and Functional English.
- Dedicated to the noble cause of educating rural women for more than six decades
- Conducts Student Induction Programme to ease the trajectory of the freshers from school to college
- Hosts National/International Seminars, Conferences and Workshops
- MoU signed with Arts and Science Colleges in Virudhunagar District for 5 years under Virudhunagar District Cluster of Colleges Joint Faculty Programme in English
- MoU signed with Pachyderm Tales Consultancy Private Limited, Vellore for 1 year
- Stages English Play every year on Founder’s Day
- Organises Literary Exhibition to nurture creativity, artistic skill and aesthetic sensibility of the students
- Karpagaviruksha Scholarship installed with the contribution of the Faculty
- Ponnunjal Endowment contributed by the alumnae on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee Celebration of the Department
- Students are recipients of Best Outgoing Student Award, Sakalakalavalli Awards every year
- Students serve under various capacities in the Student Union Cabinet every year
- Students win top positions in Inter-Collegiate competitions
- Meritorious alumnae hold higher positionsin reputed organisations