- To impart intensive knowledge and skills to rural students through quality education and to provide an environment where students become competent users of Mathematics in other disciplines.
- To empower the students with profound knowledge in Mathematics, logical reasoning and analytical skills, to induce their passion for research and lifelong learning with a focus on moral values and social ethics.
History of the Department
The Department of Mathematics was established in 1963 to sharpen the young budding women who would bloom up an as ingenious and resourceful mathematician with skill and stardom. The UG Mathematics Programme was started in 1963 with 6 students. In order to promote women's access into higher education, our College Management took tremendous efforts and launched PG Mathematics Programme with 17 students in 1985. We are very proud to say that M.Phil. Programme was launched in the year 2015-2016. As a milestone in the history our department was upgraded to the status of imparting Research programme and recognized as a Research Centre in the year 2019-2020. It has a hoary past and gradually developed its intellectual heights over a span of six decades of its journey.
- College Science Improvement Programme (COSIP) fund was allotted by UGC from 1984 to 1987. 20 student projects were completed and Guest Lectures were organized under the COSIP fund.
- PG Association was instigated to enrich Post Graduate student’s research interests. As a part of this, Guest lectures by eminent mathematicians and student seminars are being conducted till now.
- Our Faculty members with keen interest have conducted Coaching classes which helped students in enhancing their skills in arithmetic and mental ability to succeed in IAS exams, National Talent Search exam, TNPSC and Bank exams since 1985.
- Virudhunagar District Cluster of Colleges Programme was started functioning from 1986. Various Colleges from our District conducts events such as Quiz, Guest lectures, Paper Presentations, etc. Our College is an active participant in this programme every year.
- Our former HOD Mrs. Rajapushpam became the Principal of our College during the year1991 - 1992. She was the first faculty from our department to become the Principal of our College.
- In 2000, College Science Improvement Programme (COSIP) fund was allotted by UGC for the second time. Under the COSIP fund, 12 student seminars, Guest Lectures were conducted and Mathematical models were constructed by our students. DST sponsored Lecture series was organized in our College Campus in 2001.
- In order to show case the highlights of our Staff and Students activities, our department publishes the magazine named “MATHMAG” every year since 2001.
- In 2012, the CSIR sponsored Annual Conference of “Academy of Discrete Mathematics and Applications” (ADMA) was conducted by our department. Our College was the first Arts and Science College to host the annual Conference of ADMA.
- In 2014, the UGC sponsored 3 day National Workshop on “Analytical tools for Researchers in Commerce and Computer Science- WATRCC-14” was organised in collaboration with the department of Computer Science and the department of Commerce.
- The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science jointly organized International conference from 14.12.2017 to 16.12.2017 in collaboration with IMRF.
- We feel proud to say that our faculty member, Dr.S.M.Meena Rani, M.Sc., M.Phil., PGDCA., Ph.D., has been promoted as our College Principal on 31st May 2016.
- It is noteworthy to mention that our department is one among the eight departments in receiving fund from Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi. In accord with this, the infrastructure facilities and equipments were increased under this scheme and our department has been highly benefited.
Philanthropist of our Department
- Mrs.J.Thennammal, former Head of the Department magnanimously donated the fund of Rs.75,000/- for the construction of Math Lab building in 2004.
- From 2003 – 2004 onwards, one best outgoing final year PG student & two best outgoing final year UG students receive Thiru.S. Jeyaprakasam Mrs.J.Thenammal Arakkattalai cash award.
- From 2018 – 2019 onwards, the Scholar who got First rank in M.Phil. Mathematics receives Gold Medal from our former Head of the Department Mrs.M.Shunmugathai Thiraviyam son Arun Kumar Endowment.
Uniqueness of our Department
- Our College Managing board extended its support for thes well-designed infrastructure of our Department. Thus, we have an elegant Math Lab equipped with nearly 150 handmade Mathematical Models and Puzzles which was highly appreciated by the NAAC peer team in 2010.
- The inception of the Math lab sowed seed for the Creativity Club. The Creativity club was started in the year 2003-2004. Constructing mathematical Models, creating Puzzles, arranging Guest Lectures and Field visit are the activities of this club. Every year, appreciation prizes will be given to the active students in the club.
- We celebrate Srinivasa Ramanujan’s Birthday in commemoration of the great mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. This grand day has been celebrated in our department since 2004 by conducting various competitions for our department students, other major students and School students. Every year our Former HOD Mrs.M.Shunmugathai, M.Sc., M.Phil., sponsors prizes for the competitions.